domingo, 25 de setembro de 2011

Big Bad John's




Whenever I go to Victoria, I like to go to this Bar called Big Bad John's. Actually, I am lying. Big Bad john's is not just a bar. It is a wholesome experience. The first time I stepped into the bar, I entered there by mistake. I was there to exchange money, because I only had US dollars. I felt like I had been transported into a saloon, with a touch of Hogsmeade, that wizard Village in Harry Potter. The place has christmas tree lights all over. Bras hanging from the ceiling, with inscriptions like "Julia was here". Money bills from different countries were stuck to the pillars. Country music playing. The peanuts are on the house, as long as you throw the shells away on the floor. And when I noticed that the barmen wore overalls, I was ecstatic " May I take a picture with you?" I asked the barman, Todd. And he very nicely agreed. Well, I'm not a fan of country music, but even this fit perfectly there (couldn't picture Katy Perry playing, for example). 


Me and Todd, the bartender, on my first visit to Big Bad John's


The place is unbelievable. The staff is unbelievable. So are the people who go there (after going there over 7 times, I'm including myself in that category now, too). Sometimes, I'd sit there and a drunk guy would approach me with a cheesy line such as: "You lips are beautiful, can i kiss you?" (No!) or a funny old man, talking about Reavers, (only he said Deevers) "creatures that will cut you in pieces, eat you and then wear you, and they will do that in that order if you're lucky". He probably watched Firefly. 


On a very peculiar night, I brought my homework to the bar, and started asking people about words they knew. A middle aged woman went on about Tupac, and how she was into his songs, lately. Uh, let me put it this way. Not expressions you should put in your homework. The thing is, no matter how crazy is the person who approaches me, I feel perfectly safe there, because just one look in the direction of any of the staff, or in Todd (the barman)'s direction, they will kick the person out of the bar. But the whole thing (the drunk person) is usually so funny that you don't even complain. Well, I come from Brazil, a place where often it's not safe to walk by yourself to bars. I'm used to being suspicious most of the time. And there is a place where people offer to pay for your drinks. Where the barman knows where you are sitting, so you can go to the bathroom. You talk to strangers, but don't leave the bar with them. You sing to Shania Twain's "Any Man of Mine" with strangers, for crying out loud! What can I say? The pace is FUN! I met a fellow Brazilian in the bathroom line. I like random. Speaking of random, sometimes the buzz will go off unexpectedly. FUN!






And for the brave girls, there is a challenge waiting for you. All I can say is that it involves a free shirt. I'm not even saying what that shirt says. Ask them (*mischievous smile*)


 In a nutshell, if you go to another country, don't go to clubs. Same kind of songs. Same people. It's like going to Mac Donald's when you are in Paris. Leave your comfort zone. Try something truly local. Try Big Bad John's ( I swear they didn't pay me for the add, it's just THAT good).

2 comentários:

  1. Hey! I agree. Super cool place. I wonder how long that 'drawing' will last under the glass at the table haha.

    Hope your adventures never end.

    Aaron

    ResponderExcluir